Friday, August 25, 2006

Another Overheard

Hi.

Yep, still here.

I was walking back from the L train yesterday, up Bedford Avenue towards Greenpoint, and I passed a couple people talking about some album. The jewel that pattered my eardrums went something like this:
"I mean, it was so bad, you couldn't even listen to it ironically. Not even one song!"
Oh, to have a transcript of the entire conversation. Or at least the title of the album.

That's the 'burg. What a pity that something as beautiful, powerful, and human as irony has been co-opted by Billyburgers as a style of the times, the trucker hat of literary devices.

And the notion of "ironic listening" is simply nauseating:
"Oh my god, I can't believe how BAD this is!"

"Yeah, no kidding. I LOVE it."

"Turn it up!"

"Ok, can you get me a PBR?"
Not so far away from:
"Oh my god, I can't believe I'm actually cutting off my own finger!"

"No kidding. It's so AWESOME!"

"Yeah, like, it really hurts. But it's just so IRONIC! You know, me being a hand model and all."

"Dude, yeah, deep. Want a PBR?"
Please, everyone, do your part to save irony before it ends up in a ditch, beaten and bloody, along with the rest of last year's fashions. That, along with using long-life light bulbs and driving hybrid cars, will go quite a way towards making the world a better place for us and our children and our children's children, but not their children, 'cause by then, they gotta learn how to take matters into their own hands.

1 Comments:

Blogger E. Luther said...

Welcome back, dear brother.

I winced a little earlier today at the usage of "ironic" as well. In this article a rep. from Adler Planetarium says "When our building was created, we originally had eight planets that were placed in the outside facade, because Pluto was not discovered. So it's ironic that we're going back to the eight planets." Really? Or is it simply convenient? Or strange? Or coincidental? Or a Point Of Interest? Geez, Lazy. What would Alanis say? Hmmmm? Maybe she would just have a PBR.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home