Saturday, March 10, 2007

Winni-pegged

Thank you, Air Canada, you've done it again! For the third time in two weeks, we have arrived without a full complement of luggage. I've been 50% affected; the smaller of my two bags made it, but the bigger decided to stay in Calgary another night. Thus, I'm fine if I want to go running in my plane shoes while reading Jane Jacobs, and I have a spectacular collection of button-down shirts, but all the essentials are in the big case. Yeah, so I should have learned to space out the necessities after the epic journey detailed below, but good ideas don't often manifest in the groggy packing frenzy leading up to the departure. Kick self.


As consolation for leaving your luggage behind, Air Canada hands out the handy "Sorry, sucks to be you!" kits pictured above. They must have thousands on hand at any given time, as indicated by the line at the baggage-oops counter and the fact that I now possess two of them. Contained within each stylish, blue, vinyl man-pack (the womens' are light blue) are, clockwise from the top: foldy brush thingy, shampoo, Q-tips and cotton balls, scented deodorant, razor and shaving cream, toothbrush and toothpaste, laundry detergent (my fav), and a white t-shirt, XL of course. Thoughtful indeed, but far from perfect considering the noticeable absence of underwear, whiskey, and prophylactics.

On the upside, we're at another Fairmont hotel, which means free internet for members of the President's Club, which is easy to join and also free of charge. I love loopholes. I'm entertaining the idea of having a mellow Saturday evening in the room, knock out another posting, do a little reading, get some pictures up... though a night on the town in Winnipeg certainly does sound, uh, intriguing. Time will tell.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you get a chance to do the former, then the latter, as I've been enjoying your blog immensely! And your photos are perfect! Thanks for taking the time.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh come on man: MacGyver style! In the absence of whiskey huffing SPEEDSTICK can do the trick of lowering inhibitions, and I've heard that it's possible to fashion a perfectly functional prophylactic from a flight sickness bag and the back cover of Sky Mall.

9:44 AM  
Blogger E. Luther said...

'Cept it'd have to be enRoute. Good luck, Dave!

10:50 PM  
Blogger David said...

Indeed it would. You got there before I did. I've heard about the SkyMall 'patch,' but enRoute has yet to be tested. Officially, at least.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home